This is Me.

My photo
QC, Philippines
Now, I choose to reveal because anonymity breeds not-so-nice things.

I choose to write to express, because I don't believe that impressions last.

I choose to become who I am, because I don't like pretense.

I choose to be just jets, because I believe I am.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Neutral

I was talking to some of my classmates right after lunch, and we got into some discussions on politics - the highly controversial political debate on student-centered leadership as the main thrust or just a part of one's political agenda.

In the milieu of high cases of politicking inside the school and even outside, there is a high expectation for the Iskolar ng Bayan to at least be critical and not just be apathetic. I, personally, am torn between the advocacy of the elitist or petty bourgeoisie class and the struggle of the masses. There is even another school of thought that empowers the military and elevates it as a stronger institution: that when there is no security, economic development cannot happen.


Anyway, in the discussion that we had, I sided with student-leadership about being just a part of the programs of action of a particular party.
And, when my classmates spoke, they were apparently against that idea. They are pro-students - prioritize the immediate needs of the students first (basing on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs). OK, so I realized it was 3 versus 1. I was alone.

And there I was, after the assertive argument I first gave, I was actually thinking of agreeing with them. Since a debate is about to spark, I was almost ready to do a sharp u-turn. Come on!


Well, you can use euphimism and call me a "peace-maker" or you can bash me, be rude and call me a "coward". I've always been that way - always making sure I was on the safe side. I debate, alright, but then, I don't want conflicts. I hate it. But I'm thinking, will I forever be a freelancer and not stand by my ideals and principles? Or is that a positive trait, ie. being
neutral?

Good thing the discussion didn't turn out bad, it was an "over-lunch-conversation" anyway. I ended the talk with a reasoning that whatever political beliefs one have is just worthless.


Political parties, rivalries, institutions will not get any better soon. It will come to a hiatus of its existence. Thankfully, something way better will take over. Or rather,
the best will take over.

-Love, jets.

2 comments:

  1. gwynee! napagdaanan ko na rin yang time na lagi nalang ako neutral just because i wanna be safe, ganun nga cguro tlga ang first reason, ayaw tlga natin ng gulo.

    hmm. on the other hand, being always neutral somehow means we're weak, i think. yung ganun. cguro im learning now, yung parang "go for either the YES or the NO, and not partly YES and partly NO".. just to show that we can explain our side well.

    hehe, way to go! kailangan i-master ang art of decision-making. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REA: yeah, i know. i believe it is indeed weakness. yun nga, cowardice. haay. pero someday, i still have to develop that. much is expected, you know. :) and stepping on the grey area is kinda childish. hehe, or high school-ish for that matter.

    ReplyDelete